Sunday, June 04, 2006

30 Years!

I have completed 30 years of life on this earth. Wow! I thought it might seem weird but so far I don't foresee any nervous breakdowns or midlife crises, or a third-of-life crisis. Yesterday, two sweet ladies from church took Marisa and I out for brunch. Today was a normal day of worship. I preached on the OT prophecies about Jesus as reasons to believe in Him. Tonight, we will have our monthly singing so I won't be preaching. Marisa and I plan to finally go into NYC in the next week or two to visit a museum and eat in Little Italy.

Every now and then, I feel a twinge of "weirdness." I keep thinking about Paul's illustration in 1 Corinthians 13: "when I became a man, I put away childish things. "Am I a man?" That's one question. And then, "which things in my life are childish and need to be kicked out?" is another good one. "Are there childish things?" is a moot and stupid question.

I have two children. That number "2" is a lot more shocking and gives me more to think about than the other number.

5 years ago, we were newlyweds living in Searcy, AR. In a new apartment, enjoying a hot Arkansas summer.
10 years ago, I was working a summer job at a grocery store in Paducah, in the produce section and also taking a lit class at Murray State.
15 years ago, was my first summer after my mother died.
20 years ago, I was spending my summer playing with neighbor/best friend Bryan and we were exploring in the woods, following the creek, playing G.I. Joe and baseball.

Oh well. I guess I can handle another 30 or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com