Saturday, June 24, 2006

World Cup Musings (that's soccer)

  • I love the name Torsten Frings. He plays for Germany. I like saying it. It sounds like a type of snack you would buy to watch the game. "I bought some soda and Torsten Frings. Would you like the BBQ Torsten Frings or Ranch flavored Torsten Frings?"

  • Here is a link to the World Cup of Hair. There does seem to be a high percentage of wierd hair-dos among soccer players. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/060623
  • This has been commented on way too much but it is still fascinating how soccer players learn to fall and grab their leg so naturally, hoping to draw a penalty. The contrast to American Football is so great. In the NFL, if a 220 lb free safety drills the WR into the ground, said WR jumps up as quickly as possible and plays it off like it was a bump. You don't acknowledge a big hit. But in soccer, if you are nudged, you must fall to the ground as though you were hit by the aforementioned 220 lb free safety. I think the Italians teach this to their children as they learn to walk.

  • I like soccer because every goal is a big deal. Most of the games are close. Since they are close, things can change quickly. Deep down we value things that are more difficult to accomplish. Scoring is more appreciated and more celebrated when it is rare. Of course, I also like 1-0 baseball games with two great pitchers. Also the build up when a team is pushing the ball up and might score is intense.

  • We don't have cable but there are three Spanish networks nearby. I love listening to their announcers. It drives Marisa crazy when the guy screams, "Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal!" like a siren or one long "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!" but I like it.

  • Now that USA is out, I am pulling for Italy. I have always liked Argentina and Holland but Italy and USA are the only teams I really root for seriously. Otherwise, I am tired of Brazil winning.

2 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Jimmy Mitchell said...

Hello,

This is one of your former colleagues from HSBS. I have not talked to you in 20 million years!!Just wanted you to know that I am still alive! I have a blog, too! jimmymitchell.blogspot.com

In Him,
Jimmy

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Jimmy Mitchell said...

Hello!

I am glad to see that you have a blog! I have not talked to you in 20 million years!! This is your old colleague-Jimmy. Yes! I am still alive!! jimmymitchell.blogspot.com
How are you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com