Monday, October 30, 2006

Politics, part 1: You just have to laugh

Signs are popping up everywhere. I removed three from the church yard recently. I didn't want to get in trouble for "supporting" one candidate and lose our tax-exempt status. Of course, the cars driving by probably assumed we like the other guy since I was removing signs.

Some signs make me laugh. I didn't realize at first that one sign actually had two last names on it. I almost wanted to vote for the guy just because I thought the name was Colosimo Soos. There is another multiple name sign in our community with three names. The third one is "Barabas". I chuckled to myself, imagining a throng of voters crying out, "Give us Barabas! Give us Barabas!" My wife didn't find that amusing for some reason.

I love the Maxine comic (grumpy old lady) and someone recently emailed a few of them. Here are her thoughts on politics:

"They hold elections in November because it's the best time for picking out a turkey."

"How's this for a political platform: Don't lie through your teeth!"

"Voting is like choosing your favorite mosquito out of a swarm."

This is a cartoon from our community paper:
The scene is Moses holding the two tablets just after receiving the Law. A man in the front row of the crowd asks, "Did he say anything about Tree Ordinances?"
If you know how picky some towns can be about zoning ordinances, what you can and cannot do, and how you must do it when it comes to cutting trees, putting up a sign, etc., you can appreciate that cartoon.

As Election Day nears, I will post some more serious thoughts on Christians and government. I have thought a lot about it in recent years. Bible study and some personal experiences (living overseas especially) have caused me to think differently than I used to.

They will probably be inflammatory and heretical. I know you can't wait.

1 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would expect no less.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com