Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Politics, part 2: Three statements I don't like

"I didn't vote for Him/Her."
So what? God says to honor, submit to, and respect the government and government leaders/officials. The attitude behind that bumper sticker seems to be disrespect and rebellion. Do you think the first Christians really supported the political views of Caesar? Whether it was Nero or not, when Paul and Peter wrote about this issue, they said, "honor, submit, respect."


"If you don't vote, you have no right to complain."
Wrong. As a Christian, I have a responsibility, even a mandate (to use political jargon) to speak out against wrong and to stand up for what is right. But where am I commanded to vote? What principle, precept, or command says that I am not a good disciple of Jesus if I don't participate in elections? I have been told by Christian friends that "honor, submit, respect" means I should vote. Forgive me if I don't agree with your exegesis. I don't see it or understand it. I will not judge you for voting, but you shouldn't judge those who choose to be salt and light in non-political ways only. Sure, it is an opportunity, but don't make it a Christian duty (more thoughts on voting later)


"Vote your values". (Chronicle article)
I appreciate Focus on the Family and similar groups for their intentions, efforts, etc. but I feel uncomfortable with their methods. As much as I am opposed to homosexuality, I don't see how a constitutional ban on Gay Marriage, or even gay relationships helps anything or anyone. I don't believe in boycotting, use of force, or politics to accomplish God's Will.

Chrisitianity, Holiness, Salvation, etc. cannot be forced or legislated. If we do that, it means absolutely nothing. I fear what we are saying is, we want things our way, and we are going to use political power to get it. And I also think our own fears lie behind this mentality.

Wouldn't it be much easier if all sin were against the law? Then we wouldn't be persecuted. Then it would be so much easier to be a Christian. But, if things (by things, I guess I mean laws) change and homosexual marriage and abortion (I confess to feeling differently about abortion, since it is forced on the innocent) become even more acceptable, legally and socially, being a Christian will be much more difficult than it already is. Jesus told his followers to shake the dust off their feet when people rejected their message, not to bully and coerce them to comply.

Have you ever noticed that God never promises government backing, but emphasizes the unavoidableness of suffering and persecution?

My question is: Are we still going to stand up for right and against wrong even if the laws don't go our way?

Why don't we use all the energy taken by electioneering, campaigning, boycotting, marching, protesting, writing letters, calling our congresspeople, and on and on....and instead spend some time waging a spiritual war? Why don't we spend that time in prayer?

Why don't we use our time getting to know a homosexual couple and show them the love of Jesus and explain clearly why we believe what we believe? If they think we are closed-minded and intolerant (and many will), is our next step really to vote against them?

I appreciate your comments. Keep Romans 14-15 in mind as we discuss. I am sure someone will point out some flaws in my arguments (no surprise) and I welcome the help.

4 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Blogger Agent X said...

I think the letter to Philippi by St Paul is filled with fightin' words for Caesar. I think Paul put Caesar in his place when he said, "Every knee will bow... and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord...." "Every knee" and "every tongue" includes Caesar's.

I will grant that we are to love our enemies, and that includes Republicans and Democrats and Caesars. And the Gospel is not the Democrat platform, no matter how much I disagree with that of the Republicans, but the Gospel is very much in Caesar's face. It is a fight. But it is unlike other fights. It is against principalities and powers and it is fought with love -self sacrificial love. And Jesus wins.

Many blessings...

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger preacherman said...

Brian,
Great post.
I think we should keep in mind that no political group can be said to be the only Chritian party. I think it is important that we understand that their are Christian republican's, democrats, libretarians, and independance. Just because we don't agree with politics and social issues doesn't make us not Christians. I think it is so wrong of Christians to tell other Christians that they have to vote just like them in order to a Christ and we see it all them time and even in some churches. I heard one preacher preaching to his congregation that if you vote democrat you are not really Christian. Do all Republicans agree with each other on all the issues? Do democrats? No. Each person has differnt beliefs. So if I vote my conscience which I am on November 7th, I know I am doing what I know is right. What needs to be done. I am not going to go into voting booth and think okay if I vote this way how is brother or sister so and so going to feel.
Just my thoughts on the issue.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger James said...

Brian,
Good thoughts. I would disagree slightly with your second point, "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain."

And let me say, the only reason I disagree is that I think we are applying spiritual principles to a secular situation. While there is no Christian obligation to vote, from a political standpoint your complaints don't carry much weight if you didn't avail yourself of your opportunity to keep whoever your disagreement is with out of office by voting against them.

I also agree. to an extent, that we cannot legislate values or morality. Where I draw the line is when the sin becomes a crime. Or becomes what any reasonable human should consider a crime.

For example, abortion. Abortion is murder, plain and simple. Anyone who doesn't see that either has an agenda or has been deluded by the arguments of those who have an agenda to see abortion continue. The most glaring example is partial birth abortion which even those who use the scare tactic of "the health of the mother" have no leg to stand on.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Brian Nicklaus said...

mike,
Good thoughts from philippians. I had not thought about the implication of that verse in regards to Caesar, with Paul probably writing from a roman prison.

Preacherman,
I think "vote your conscience" is a much better statement. Each one should be convinced in his own mind as Paul says in Rom 14.

James,
I see the practicality of "being all things to all men" in a sense by voting so that I can engage others in discussion. When i post more about voting though, I will share a conundrum: both sides do things I disagree with and don't want to be a part of. Just voting against one isn't so easy in my mind.

And abortion is a big issue for me, too. When I do vote, that plays a major part.

And I will go ahead and point out a possible flaw in my own arg--I would be very concerned if our government legalized rape or murder--both moral issues, yet I am not as concerned about homosexuality. Inconsistent?? yeah, probably.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com