Thursday, November 02, 2006

Politics, part 3: Confusing our Roles

I am Brian and I approve of this post...

This is where I will really confuse you, or at least sound confused. I am stuck in the middle, and won’t come down from the fence. I realize it is very non-political to refuse to choose one of the nicely organized sides but I don’t agree with either one.

When it comes to war…I am neither for it nor against it. On second thought, I could probably win a campaign talking this way. Let me clarify:

I feel that as a Christian, my life should be based on love, mercy, forgiveness, etc. and I should act these things out in my daily life. War, which usually involves revenge, taking human life, etc., is not what I should be about. So, I am against being involved in war. If I am forced to enlist, hopefully I can do something without shooting other people. I feel uncomfortable supporting a war with my vote, as well. As a disciple of Jesus, I cannot in good conscience participate or support war.

But here is where I differ from some political parties and most pacifists. I am not against war. I believe God has established governments and they have responsibilities. Part of the responsibility to keep peace may involve going to war. I will not protest war, or vote against war. That is a part of what governments do. It's their God-given job.

Also, Biblically speaking, God uses war to accomplish His purpose. He has throughout time. We don’t know for sure, but He might be up to something even now. Even if our leaders have bad motives or intentions, God might be working. I do not believe in Holy Wars but God used Babylon, Assyria, Rome and other other "unholy" nations to accomplish His Will throughout time.

He even commanded his own people to wage war at times. If war is inherently always sinful, then we have a problem with our God. And running from/dismissing the OT doesn’t change what happened. And believing in two different gods, or a God who changed his mind about war after the cross is not intellectually or exegetically honest.

I feel similarly about capital punishment (death penalty). I would be embarrassed if Christians were marching in the streets supporting the death penalty. That isn’t our MO. At the same time, I believe in the paradox that says, “we don’t truly respect human life if we allow murderers to live”.

I wouldn’t vote for it. I couldn’t serve as a judge or on a jury that must decide the penalty for a murderer. I couldn't flip the switch or inject the needle but I do believe God has ordained governments to punish the wrongdoer. That is the job of governments.

This concept of a Christian Nation creates quite a conundrum. The government has a responsibility to do certain things that as a Christian, I don’t feel I should be party to (no pun intended). At the same time, I have no right to tell the Government not to do what God has called them to do. I wouldn’t want them doing that to the church.

The Church has one responsibility and the Government has a very different one. I don’t think we should confuse or combine the two.

If you are totally lost, at least read Romans 13:1-7 before attacking my views. I realize this may be solely a matter of conscience so read Romans 14-15 while you are there. I am not attacking or judging you or your family who are Christians and serving in the military or as judges, politicians, or policemen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com